Interested in becoming a peer advisor in Spring 2013? Consider working for the CASA Student Success Center! Check out the job description below and if interested, complete a job application.
• Interact with College of Applied Sciences and Arts (CASA) students who seek assistance in the CASA Student Success Center (CSSC) about any issues they are having, whether it be personal or academic. Help motivate them to excel. If necessary, refer the student to a more appropriate resource on campus.
• Advise students about appropriate actions to be taken regarding their academic performance.
• Assist students with time management and study skills.
• Raise awareness about activities, issues, and resources for the college and SJSU students.
• Know about SJSU and CASA policies and procedures as they relate to the General Education Program, student retention, success, and graduation.
• Provide help with course registration, MySJSU issues, and any general registration questions.
• Communicate effectively with CASA SSC Director, G.E. advisors, administrative assistant, and other CASA SSC peer advisors, as well as advising personnel from any of the CASA departments and schools and their peer advisors.
• Be knowledgeable and informative about the General Education Program and related academic questions. Effectively respond to questions from and convey information to CASA students.
• Serve as a student ambassador to prospective students by providing general information about SJSU and CASA.
• Serve as a role model for fellow students.
• Participate in and provide assistance to SJSU and CASA events including, but not limited to, Spartan Preview Day, Admitted Spartan Day, New Student Orientation, and Transfer Orientation Programs.
• Raise student awareness about and encourage involvement in SJSU and CASA College activities.
• Attend training sessions, workshops, and meetings arranged by the Director of the CASA SSC, advisors and administrative assistant.
• Assist in general office and clerical duties as assigned (e.g., reception, collating, filing) when not involved in advising and maintaining the CASA SSC advising database.
• Maintain professional work relationships with students, including knowing and adhering to the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) – know, understand, and respect the importance of maintaining confidentiality regarding student information and records, and adhere to these policies at all times.